Captain's Duties | Blog | History | WAKA Austin | Facebook Group
The biggest and best Austin kickball league around, TX Live is a part of the World Adult Kickball Association. WAKA: Best Parties. Best Games. Best Friends.
Registration for TX Live - Fall 2014 is OPEN for Registration!
- Are you a captain or aspiring captain wondering about how to start a team? First you want to register yourself, then start a "friend group". Your friend group will become a team* after registration closes (*assuming you have enough players signed up). If you don't have enough players signed up by the deadline, its not a big deal, we will add a small group or free agents to your team to make a full roster!
- Do you have a group of friends (anywhere from 2-15 players) who would like to sign up and play on the same team together? No problem! What you want to do is register and start a 'friend group'. After registration closes, your friend group will be merged with other friend group(s) or free agents to make a full team.
- Plan on going solo? Perfect. Nearly 50 percent of the players in WAKA leagues first started as free agents or small friend groups. That's how easy it is to meet new people and make new friends. So don't worry - go ahead and sign up and we'll be sure to check with you to put you on a fun team that's a perfect fit for you!
- Thinking your company would be interested in sponsoring a whole squad for a good team-building/networking activity? No problem. When you register you'll see an option for you to pay for any number of individuals. Then you'll get an email with coupon codes which you can pass out to your players when they register.
- Cost: $73 until August 20th, then $78 (includes 8 weeks of games + playoffs, T-Shirt, 3 awesome parties w/ free beer and an open tab for wells, and weekly discounts at our sponsor bar!)
- Don't have a full team? No worries. You can sign up as team, a small friend group, or a free agent. We will place you or your group on an existing team that needs players. WAKA Kickball is a great way to get your friends and co-workers together or to just meet new people!
- What if I don't have any kicking skills? Doesn't matter. This is a social league built on FUN! Some even say the "post-game" at the bar is more important then the games themselves!
- Games Thursday Nights at 7PM, 8PM, and 9PM starting September 4, 2014
- 8 week regular season + two weeks of playoffs (every team makes the playoffs)!
- Post-game we head to our sponsor bar Midway Field House for $1 PBRs, $2 Miller Lites, and $3 well cocktails
- Tons of events the rest of the year! Check out our upcoming events below.
- August 19: Late Registration Begins
- August 25: Free Agent Assignment Day
- August 27: Open Play Night at Gillis Park
- August 28: Game Schedule Released
- September 2: Fall 2014 Captains' Meeting
- September 3: Fall 2014 Season Begins! Rules & Ref Clinic at 6:00 PM
- September 10: Registration Closes
- September 18: Theme Night: Star Wars - Ancient weapons and hokey religions are no match for a good theme night.
- September 27: Foam Dodgeball Tournament - Dodgeball returns to Austin with a big 'ol tournament open to anyone and everyone!
- September 27: Kick-Off Party - Details TBA
- October 9-12: WAKAPalooza Weekend in Las Vegas - No games in Austin this week, as 60+ of us will be traveling to Vegas!
- October 30: Theme Night: All Hallow's Eve Eve - Get your costumes out and get ready to party, because things get weird on the fields when it's Halloween.
- November 6: Rain-Out Makeup Week
- November 13: Playoffs Week 1 - Play-In and First Round
- November 20: Playoffs Week 2 - Quarters, Semis, and Championship
- November 22: End of Season Party - Details TBA
Where We Play
This season we will be playing at Gillis Park, located at 2504 Durwood St. 78704. Ample parking is available in two parking lots and along the street. See the diagram below for more information.
As with all neighborhood parks, the consumption of alcohol is not permitted at Gillis, and WAKA's alcohol policy always reflects that of our venue. Individuals who are observed consuming alcoholic beverages will be asked to leave the premises, and run the risk of receiving a citation for public consumption of an alcoholic beverage. Gillis park is an on-leash dog-friendly park. Teams observed consuming alcohol or allowing dogs off leash will receive a paper forfeit for the evening. Repeat offenses may result in suspensions.
Where We Party
This season the TX Live after party will be at Midway Field House at 2015 E. Riverside Dr every Thursday night! With tons of space and parking, projectors and TVs everywhere tuned to sports, tasty eats and cheap drinks, it's going to be THE place to be on Thursday nights!
WAKA Exclusive Specials:
$2 Miller Lite
$3 Well Cocktails
- Teams must consist of a MINIMUM of 16 players and a MINIMUM of 6 women. Groups that do not meet these minimum requirements by August 25th will be combined with other groups and free agents at the discretion of the league manager.
- The season schedule is subject to change due to inclement weather or other factors beyond our control.
- The season schedule will be weighted to allow for as much parity as possible during the regular season. Be sure to notify the league manager at firstname.lastname@example.org if your team is particularly inexperienced or if you would like to play a more competitive schedule.
- All players are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the RULES before play.
- Paper forfeits will be assessed for violations of park policies. This means if anyone on your team is observed drinking alcohol, smoking, or allowing their dogs off-leash your team will be assessed a paper forfeit.
- Each player may only register for one team in TX Live.
- Cleats are recommended but by no means required. Metal cleats are prohibited. Closed toed shoes must be worn during play.
- Substitutions are allowed in regular season games ONLY when fewer than the minimum number of players are available (4 men and 4 women), and ONLY as many subs as is necessary to reach the minimum. No subs are permitted during the playoffs.
- TX Live is about having fun playing a children's game, and as such there is a zero tolerance policy for fighting. Any physical altercation will result in the immediate ejection of all parties involved. Altercations in which punches are thrown will result in a 2 game suspension. Repeat offenses and extreme altercations will be evaluated on a case by case basis and may result in removal from the season of play without a refund.
Board of Volunteers
Referee Wrangler: Liz Harris
GMOT Czar: Valerie Gleason
If you would like to lend your skills to make the league better, contact league representative Stephen Moursund at email@example.com.
Find us on Facebook, Twitter, Yelp, and YouTube!