TX Republic - Summer 2014
TX Republic Summer 2014 is Now Open for Registration!
- Are you a captain or aspiring captain wondering about how to start a team? First you want to register yourself, then start a "friend group". Your friend group will become a team* after registration closes (*assuming you have enough players signed up). If you don't have enough players signed up by the deadline, its not a big deal, we will add a small group or free agents to your team to make a full roster!
- Do you have a group of friends (anywhere from 2-15 players) who would like to sign up and play on the same team together? No problem! What you want to do is register and start a 'friend group'. After registration closes, your friend group will be merged with other friend group(s) or free agents to make a full team.
- Plan on going solo? Perfect. Nearly 50 percent of the players in WAKA leagues first started as free agents or small friend groups. That's how easy it is to meet new people and make new friends. So don't worry - go ahead and sign up and we'll be sure to check with you to put you on a fun team that's a perfect fit for you!
- Thinking your company would be interested in sponsoring a whole squad for a good team-building/networking activity? No problem. When you register you'll see an option for you to pay for any number of individuals. Then you'll get an email with coupon codes which you can pass out to your players when they register.
- View the Kickball Rules here.
THIS IS A NO BUNTING LEAGUE!
IN ADDITION TO THE REGULAR WAKA RULES, THESE RULES BELOW APPLY TO THIS LEAGUE ONLY:
- No bunting (any kick deemed a "bunt" by the official will be ruled a "foul ball")
- 10 players maximum on the field
-50 minute games, no limit on innings
- 8 weeks of regular games on Wednesday nights with an all-day Saturday playoffs at the end of the season!
- April 23 & 30: Championship Tournament
- May 2: End of Season Party - Midway Field House! This is one day after Tom, the league rep's birthday. This is important.
- April 17: Summer 2014 Registration Begins!
- May 10: Pre-Season Day Party - We'll be hanging out at Brew Exchange on West 6th, doling out 24 hour discount registration coupons, raffling off a free registration and a Block Rocker stereo, and drinking on the cheap! First 25 mimosas are on us, and they're only $1 after that!
- May 14: Late Registration Begins (fees may apply)
- May 30: Pre-Season Beach Bum Bar Crawl - Come out and meet the folks you're going to be playing and partying with all season long! Schedule TBD, but look for the folks in flippy floppys, board shorts, Hawaiin shirts, and decked out in WAKA swag!
- June 2: Summer 2014 Captain's Meeting - Discussion of league policies, gifts of WAKA captain swag, and t-shirt pickup.
- June 4: Summer 2014 Season Begins
- June 14: Plant Your Flag Kick-Off Party - It's Flag Day, and we want to see you create your team's most glorious banner possible! The team with the best flag (to be judged by a panel of your local WAKA reps) will earn a $50 gift card to their league bar! As always, professional photography will be available, kegs will be tapped, and a tab for wells will be run. Location TBD.
- July 2: Theme Night: America Night - Freedom.
- July 12: Mid-Season Party - Details TBD
- July 20: WAKA on Water 2014 Boat Party - For one Sunday only we'll be setting sail on The Ark, the mightiest vessel on Lake Travis! 140 seats are available, as well as two huge party buses bumpin tunes and getting you there and back safely. This Summer we're taking Sunday Funday to a whole new level! Cruise is1-5 PM, bus pickup information TBD. Stay tuned for details!
- July 30: Playoffs Week 1 - Play-In & First Round
- August 6: Playoffs Week 2 - Quarterfinals, Semifinals, and Championship
- August 9: End of Season Party - Details TBD
TX Republic is Wednesday night kickball in Austin, TX. We are known for great kickball, our unmatched post-game experience, legendary parties, and a year-round social schedule with something for everyone! Republic is committed to keeping the spirit of kickball alive in every game, and as such has an established "no bunting" rule which every team is required to adhere to.
This league has a legacy trophy that is passed down each season from champion to champion. There is also a bar games championship belt that will be named & engraved this season - something for every team to look forward to. Each week after the games at Corner Bar, there will be post-game interviews that will be posted on the league's youtube page afterward. Prepare to be on the Not Top 10.
View the Kickball Rules and League Tournament Guidelines
TX Republic is a super-social league, and champions are not eligible for the National Founder's Cup Tournament in Las Vegas. They are, however, eligible for extremely long, awkward hugs from Tom Hallock (league rep).
Where We Play
This season we will be playing at Gillis Park, located at 2504 Durwood St. 78704. Ample parking is available in two parking lots and along the street, and overflow parking is available across the street at the league bar G&S Lounge. See the diagram below for more information.
As with all neighborhood parks, the consumption of alcohol is not permitted at Gillis, and WAKA's alcohol policy always reflects that of our venue. Individuals who are observed consuming alcoholic beverages will be asked to leave the premises, and run the risk of receiving a citation for public consumption of an alcoholic beverage.
Where We Party
Corner Bar, Austin, TX
1901 S. Lamar Blvd
Austin, TX 78704
Corner Bar is a rad new spot in South Austin. Here are just a few of the reasons it will rock your socks off on Wednesday nights:
- They have 8 TVs set on any sporting match you hope to be watching.
- There are bar games - darts, Golden Tee, watching Tom get wasted... all the usual!
- Not one, not two, not even three, but NOW FOUR places to eat that are within 100 feet (Trai Mai Thai food trailer right out front, Potato A (Poutine) & Wings trailers right out back, and Austin's Pizza across the parking lot (and they will deliver food TO the bar!)
- Plenty of parking in adjacent lots after 6pm (don't deal with street parking if you don't have to!) - see map below
- DRINK SPECIALS GALORE!! Here's a short list:
$5 - Jameson, Corner Box (shot of Rebel Stoke & can of PBR/Lonestar/High Life)
$4 - Fireball, Firefly, Jack Daniels
$3 - Jim Bean
$2 - Bud Light draft, cans of PBR, Lonestar or Miller High Life
- The season schedule is subject to change due to inclement weather or other factors beyond our control.
- All players are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the RULES before play.
- Cleats are recommended but by no means required. Metal cleats are prohibited. Closed toed shoes must be worn during play.
- Substitutions are allowed in regular season games ONLY when fewer than the minimum number of players are available, and ONLY as many subs as is necessary to reach the minimum. No subs are permitted during the playoffs.
Board of Volunteers
Head Referee: Positions Open! - If you know the rules and think you might be a decent ref, reach out to Tom (the league rep). There are a lot of perks (free registration the following season, VIP status at WAKA parties, resume-builder). Plus you'll finally have power over something, so you don't go all Office-Space-freak-out on people.
If you would like to lend your skills to make the league better, contact league representative Tom Hallock at email@example.com.
Find us on Facebook, Twitter, Yelp, and YouTube!
Don’t Just Kick the Ball, Be the Ball! This kickball league is currently looking for volunteers to help make this kickball season a great one! If you’d like to take charge, have a say, and become more involved in your kickball experience, contact your league representative and get involved today. No matter what your talent is, we have a space for you!
Registration will close early if league capacity is reached.